Friday, May 3, 2013

Noah's birth story

Noah Michael Mendenhall
April 25, 2013
3:43 am
8 lbs 2 oz 
20 inches
At 10pm on April 24th I started to feel cramping. I figured it was Braxton Hicks again since I had been having them off and on throughout the week. I never had Braxton Hicks with Ty so each time I had them I would time them to see if maybe it was labor and so again I started to time. They started out 5 minutes apart, which I just figured wasn't labor because I've been told they are suppose to be far apart and slowly get closer together. So I tried to get some sleep but after about an hour they were too uncomfortable to be able to sleep through. I got up and walked around a bit and was trying to decide if this was labor or not. I could feel each contraction coming and going every 5 minutes still and they lasted about 45 seconds. Around 11 I woke Michael up (the poor guy had taken his sleeping pill and had been sleeping for about 20 minutes) and told him I thought I might be in labor and he told me to go back to sleep. Ha! I didn't want to call my Mom to come over if I wasn't sure I was in labor. My water broke with Ty so I was sure I was in labor when contractions started. This time it was different. I called my Mom and she said I should just go get checked out and that she was heading over. So we got everything together and by the time my Mom got to the house at about 11:45 the contractions were painful but manageable. We drove to the hospital and while we were checking in I got so emotional and started crying. Not because I was in pain, or that I was excited... I was just crying. I didn't know why. Probably hormones. I am not normally an emotional person so I was a bit embarrassed to be crying. Anyways they checked me once we got up to the room and I was 4-5 cm dialated at only 2 1/2 hours into labor!! The contractions got strong fairly quickly and soon they were calling for my epidural! I was SO happy that I didn't have to wait for an anaesthetist to come from surgery. At 1:45 I got the epidural. I was so happy because it was middle of the night and I knew I needed to rest. The freezing this time made my legs a little numb but I could still move them, and again my face and body were SO itchy! I was constantly itching my face. At about 3:15 they told me they were calling Dr. Geers (Dr. Koegler was on holidays) to come break my water. As soon as he got to the hospital he broke my water and was like "Okay you are 10cm. Start pushing on the next contraction"... I couldn't believe I was already going to be pushing. After 6 hours of labor and 4 painless pushes my baby boy was born. It was the craziest experience ever. 

With Ty I was given Oxytocin to feel the contractions more after my epidural so pushing was extremely painful, and 3 hours long. All throughout this pregnancy and especially at the end I was so afraid to give birth again. When I started to push with Noah they said "you're doing great, keep going" and I was thinking "okay I have another 2 hours of this at least" then another two pushes and the doctor said "okay next push and he's going to be out". I could feel nothing except a bit of pressure. No pain at all. It had been only 5 minutes of pushing and I already had this little baby! They took him to get cleaned up and weighed and I couldn't stop saying to Michael how easy it was, compared to what I was expecting. I couldn't believe I didn't feel any pain! It was so strange but I was beaming because of it! Noah was very mucousy for the first few days. Right after he was born they had to do a deep suction and he was crying a lot, but eventually he got cleared out a bit and settled down. We are so in love with this little guy. He looks so much like Ty did (to me anyways) and now Ty looks like this giant kid. haha. The first week has been going really well. I stayed in the hospital one night, and Michael has taken the month off as paternity leave so it's been great to have him home to watch Ty while I nurse Noah all day long. Ty never nursed so it's been really different to have Noah so dependant on me. I love it, but it definitely leaves Michael a bit helpless when it comes to Noah. Ty loves his little brother. He wakes up every morning and either says "bebe brother" or "newah (Noah)" as he runs into our bedroom and he gives him lots of kisses.  And now for lots of pictures.
 Okay my belly wasn't that deformed. It was the monitors on my belly. This was after the epidiural. 
 Our first family photo. I am looking HUGE. I promise I am not actually that big. I can't believe I am posting this photo but its the only one we got of our family together the first time.
 Michael and Noah
 Pro daddy!
 About to head home from the hospital.
 After his first bath at home. He hated it, but now he seems to love his baths.
 I feel like I've been taking so many photos of these 3 guys lately. Everytime I see them all together I just melt. I am so lucky to have all 3 of them. 
 My boys snuggling.

 Me and Ty. He has been doing so well with wearing his glasses. If we didn't forget to put them on all the time I am sure he would wear them all day. He usually has them on 3-4 hours a day right now. 

 Bathtime for Noah in our avocado green tub. You like? :)
My two kids in their pj's! I can't believe I have two kids. I am so lucky. I think they look a lot alike here. 
Ty holding Noah. He is never sure what to do and he usually says "all done" or "baby off".

Recovery feels like it's gone smoother this time too. I feel like I can get around a bit better than I could when I had Ty. The contractions after this baby have been brutal and thank goodness for T3's. 

We got Noah's baby photos done this week, so I am excited to share them when we get them. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Ames you're a champ! I'm so glad the epidural worked better for you this time around! Sounds like a dream delivery! And I agree, your two little boys look so similar! Too cute. It will be so fun for Ty to have a little brother to hang out with as they get older. I'm so torn if I want another girl so Cali can have a sister to be close to or if I want a boy. Anyways, you guys look great and I'm so glad your recovery is going so well. See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such a different experience this time! I was really surprised that Thursday morning, when after seeing your first few messages, I scrolled down and there was a picture of little Noah! I was like, WHAT!?? He's already here! I'm SO glad for you (and Noah) that everything went so well.

    Ty is SO cute in his glasses and yes, so big. He looks huge beside Noah. Love all the photos, the last one is so cute... Ty seems to be in "all done" mode, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love expecting the worst, everything goes so much smoother than you remember! haha Afterpains are the worst! I agree! Also breastfeeding is super time consuming but once they spread out and everything regulates, it`s so convenient. Glad things are going so well, you look SO good in that picture with Ty! jeaaalous hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky duck, a fairly pain free labor! Even with my epidurals, I start to feel pain again at that pushing point, gah! Well, I'm glad it went so smoothly for you. No worries about the crying, I get emotional too, it's normal. We are a ball of hormones haha.
    And yay, you've been able to nurse Noah!! I've been worried about that for ya. Seriously, the money savings with not buying formula, so nice! And nursing can be super convenient when out and about, or in the middle of the night.
    Wow, Ty DOES look huge next to Noah, too funny. And he's doing so well with his glasses, yay!
    Nice pink carpet and avacado tub. Yup. But I see new paint. Baby steps. Hey, it's your first home, it will be beautiful. I've been there, we lived in a WWII house for the first 10 years of our marriage.
    Well, I'm glad your recovery is going well. I hope to see you one of these days. I keep thinking I should come by to meet Noah, and then don't get around to it, blah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad everything went well! What a relief, right? I think Noah looks so much like Ty. Hopefully they will grow up to be best buddies! I love when my boys play together! We need to plan a girls night so that you can show off your new babe. Hope you are getting some sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...