Friday, March 20, 2015

Weight loss challenge

My whole life I have never had any discipline with what I ate. After having both babies, I got down to pre-pregnancy weight, and then gained 3 lbs within a few months... Recently though, my eating habits backfired and I started putting on weight... like almost 10 lbs. So I texted my amazing friend Char-Lane and told her I was a fatty and that I needed help. She's a personal trainer, and I attend her boot camps every summer. She has the BEST outdoor boot camps. Each class is a different location throughout the city and each class is a different workout. So after I text her she tells me she is doing a points challenge so I join in for 3 weeks (before Christmas) and I did horribly. I had some discipline but no eating after 7pm just was not working for me... We took a Christmas break and in the new year we started a new 8 week points challenge! I will tell about the challenge criteria later, but the first 3 weeks I gained 3 lbs! Whaat the...? Then I realized I couldn't just follow the rules, I had to change my diet. So I did and over the remaining 5 weeks I lost 8lbs! Then we took a week break (where I put on a few more pounds... note to self... don't eat everything I have been missing out on when this next challenge is over) and now we are 2 weeks into the second round and I'm about 5 lbs down. It's a little too much in such a short period of time, but I promise I'm just following the rules, working out lots, and eating healthy. I've realized this type of challenge is perfect for me. It's almost like a game and I love games, so it motivates me.

For the challenge everyone has put $20 in a pool which is divided in "prizes" for each week and a grand total prize.

The person with the most points wins, obviously.
1pt for contact with someone doing the challenge
3pts for 64oz of water
3pts for not eating past 8pm
3pts for 2 fruit servings
5pts for 3 vegetable servings
5pts for no sweets/sugary treats (only 6 days a week)
5pts for keeping a food journal
5pts for 30 mins exercise or 7pts for 45 mins exercise (only 5 days a week)

Each day you total your points, and you get 10 points per pound lost (calculated once a week with your total amount) and 5pts for maintaining your lowest weight.

So we weigh ourselves every Monday morning.

I'm hoping to lose about 7 more lbs (to get down to 125... though I might not want to go that small) and then I will be very happy at my weight. I don't want to be really skinny, I want to have muscle still.

I have really enjoyed cutting sugar out of my diet.. I do enjoy sweets, but this gives me a reason to say no.. I need to work on not just being motivated for this challenge, but having my own discipline. I also have loved working out 5 days a week for the past 3 1/2 months! I love to work out and I totally find I am able to do it if I just commit to make the time for it.

Monday and Thursdays I go to our ward playgroup where the kids play in the gym and us Moms turn on a workout DVD, usually Jillian Michaels.
Tuesdays I go to Booty Barre (my fav) at the college with Reagan and Amy B. It's such a good workout and its fun to go with friends.
Wednesdays I will be running about 5k in the evenings (as soon as the group gets back up and running) and the last day I will sometimes go to Char-Lanes house and do a workout, or I'll do a workout at home.

I really would love to do this challenge year long! I cannot rave enough about how much I love doing it. Somedays I get discouraged and somedays are hard, but when I started, I had a hard time getting all the points everyday, and now I am getting all my points every week.

I just wanted to document this so 5 years and 15 lbs down the road I can start back on this. :) haha


1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Amie! The key for me seems to be similar things: make sure I'm having fun, eat healthy (but with a few treats here and there) and making being active daily a habit (to the point where my day feels "off" if I miss a workout). :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...