Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Beware: Scammers

Michael and I have been posting ads to sell our Ipod Touchs (Sold). And previously have sold other things online. In the midst of this, we have recieved many e-mails and responses that have been potential scammers. We've had some experience with this in the past because we are always looking for deals on Kijiji. We have found people will try to get something from you without giving you the money as well as try to sell you something that does not exist. We have had a few close calls previously with selling and buying because we were not familiar with the stories that are sometimes told. I hate to see people I know be taken advantage of, so this post is to inform those who read this of the typical responses we have seen.
I believe this general rule more than ever: If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
This sounded like an amazing deal.

Hello,

Thanks for being interested in buying my car (
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid) .
Milage: 31,230 Kms, Engine:3.0L V6 PFI SOHC 24V, 
Automatic Transmission, Leather Heated Seats, Air Conditioning, Cruise control, 6CD-Player, Electric Windows/Mirrors, Steering wheel controls. The car has been well taken care of, always kept in the garage. Flawless exterior/interior condition, no scratches and no dents. It has never been involved in an accident.
The price is not negotiable, 
$4,700.00 firm (the price may be a little low but it seems fair to me).
I am originary from UK, but I've lived in Victoria, BC for the past 24 years. Reason for selling is that I have divorced my husband and I've decided to move back to UK with my family. This Honda comes with a clear title which will be signed and notarized in the buyer's name. Have original manuals and all keys. We will use only eBay Vehicle Purchase Program to complete the sale and also the vehicle will be shipped at my expense form Victoria, Canada.
If you are interested email me your 
full name and shipping address in order to proceed.

Kind Regards,
Lisa Burton

Usually they will offer a larger amount than asked for (asking price 300)
hello Mrs , my name is Ejas wenty
i will like to no if your item is still available for sell , i will like you to get back to me asap because i want to buy it for a child of my brother wich currently travele to wset africa for some holiday so pls i will like to pay you amount of $450 for the item including the shipping cost to west africa, and if that is okay you can get back to me with your paypal id so that i can make the payment to you asap because the onlly way i can paid you is paypal so pls hope to here from you soon and here is the shipping address bellow
Name.....David Jonson
Address....36 Ijikoyejo Street Ijeshatedo
City...........Surulere
State..........Lagos
Country.......Nigeria
Zipcod.........23401
so that is the address and here is my email address bellow (ejas_w200@yahoo.com)

And usually they will have it sent somewhere international.
I am buying this item for my son that went on a research to Africa and i will be paying you via PayPal instant auction Payment, so do get back to me with the final cost plus shipping via Canada Post Parcel Air Mail International to number 14 Arakale street , City:Akure, State: Ondo, 23434 Nigeria, so do get back to me with the final cost plus shipping and also send me your PayPal email id or you send me a payment request to marleychris002@gmail.com, so that i can transfer the full funds for you as soon as possible I await your response asap, Best Regard




Another thing to be aware of is that sometimes the deal will look very legitimate. Once we even got an e-mail from "paypal" saying as soon as we sent the ipod, the money would be sent. Michael was suspicious and called paypal and they said "Don't EVER send ANYTHING until you are paid first". I think if you are selling something, sell it local and get cash for it. 
I hope whoever reads this can maybe even share it with others, so these thief's will have to look for other sources of income. Do you have any experience with people like this? Let's hear about it. 

2 comments:

  1. Its crazy how many people are out there scamming!! That happened to Tyler a little while ago. He was looking for a car and found one that was "too good to be true" The add was pretty much the same as the car one you have down. Then Tyler somehow found the guy on scam.com or something and there were tons of people that had showed their experience with him and they were all the exact same add just a different car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful! I just do not understand how these people can sleep at night.

    I'm so glad you've been helped by my tips. I absolutely love what you've done with your blog. Your sidebar and post titles are just way too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...