Sunday, March 5, 2017

Ben's Birth Story


Labor started with a big stitch in my left side. Just as though I had sprinted a race. We were heading out to dinner with Cassandra and Glenn with just a quick detour to visit Finley's gravesite. I tried to stretch out but by the time we got to the restaurant I was having real contractions. I didn't want to say I was "in labor" because it would be very disappointing to think I was only to have the contractions stop. We ate a delicious meal and headed to Henderson for a quick walk around the small loop. The contractions were noticeable but I wasn't quite ready to claim it was labor. We picked up Ty and Noah and headed home and Michael quickly put them to bed because the contractions were getting stronger. We called Lori and she came over to babysit. We headed to the hospital around 9:15pm and even while walking up to delivery I was having to stop walking. They hooked me up to the monitors, did my blood work, and we let them know we were ready for an epidural anytime! We got into the delivery suite and the nurse called the on-call anesthesiologist. She came back to give us the bad news... he was in surgery and didn't know how long he would be but that he would come as soon as he could. My heart just sunk! I don't know how to do labor without it! I thought I probably wouldn't be able to get one since my last labor was only 5 hours and we were already 2.5 hours into it. The nurse asked me if I wanted to try the shower and I thought, why not? I hadn't ever labored another way besides laying in the bed and I actually found it to be a bit of a distraction, rather than just laying and waiting for the next contraction. I silently prayed the Dr would be out of surgery soon! Michael later told me while I was in the shower the nurse told him "He's not gonna make it" and he started praying himself. About 30 minutes of being in the shower and she came running in "HE'S HERE, HE'S HERE". It felt like Christmas morning! The Dr was super quick and within minutes I couldn't feel the contractions anymore. Dr. Koegler was away on holidays so Dr. Geers (who also delivered Noah) came and broke my water. Within a few hours I was feeling a lot of pressure and I was finally able to start pushing. The cord was wrapped twice around his head but the Dr quickly fixed that and within a few pushes our baby boy was born at 1:42am. I was so excited to see what he weighed because Ty and Noah were both 8lbs 2oz. They put baby on me and he nursed great and then they finally took him to be weighed. 8lbs 4oz! We finally got cleaned up and headed up to our room. It was hard naming this baby. Maybe because we already had two boys, but finally we came to a decision. Introducing Ben Lorin Mendenhall. We sure love you, bud.











 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...